Security is the degree of resistance to, or protection from, harm. It applies to any vulnerable and valuable asset, such as a person, dwelling, community, nation, or organization. If you want to browse darknet, you should make sure some security measures in your mind.
Security provides a form of protection where a separation is created between the assets and the threat. These separations are generically called controls, and sometimes include changes to the asset or the threat.
Perceived security compared to real security
Perception of security may be poorly mapped to measureable objective security. For example, the fear of earthquakes has been reported to be more common than the fear of slipping on the bathroom floor although the latter kills many more people than the former. Similarly, the perceived effectiveness of security measures is sometimes different from the actual security provided by those measures. The presence of security protections may even be taken for security itself. For example, two computer security programs could be interfering with each other and even cancelling each other's effect, while the owner believes s/he is getting double the protection.
Security theater is a critical term for deployment of measures primarily aimed at raising subjective security without a genuine or commensurate concern for the effects of that measure on objective security. For example, some consider the screening of airline passengers based on static databases to have been Security Theater and Computer Assisted Passenger Prescreening System to have created a decrease in objective security.
Perception of security can increase objective security when it affects or deters malicious behavior, as with visual signs of security protections, such as video surveillance, alarm systems in a home, or an anti-theft system in a car such as a vehicle tracking system or warning sign. Since some intruders will decide not to attempt to break into such areas or vehicles, there can actually be less damage to windows in addition to protection of valuable objects inside. Without such advertisement, an intruder might, for example, approach a car, break the window, and then flee in response to an alarm being triggered. Either way, perhaps the car itself and the objects inside aren't stolen, but with perceived security even the windows of the car have a lower chance of being damaged.
Essential security measures
- You shouldn't ask and answer private information.
- Using NoScript.
- Encrypting your computer, smartphone, and tablet computer. Encryption conceals your traces in hard disk drives and flash memories. -> VeraCrypt for example
Recommended softwares and apps
- Tribler: It's a traditonal BitTorrent compatible software. But you can use one to three hops(nodes) to prevent to trace by the police. https://www.tribler.org
- Tor: It is a dark web software. https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en
- TorChat: It's an open source messenger based on Tor network. Its developer abandoned it. So there is no more security updates. It is dangerous to use it, but you can transfer files using it. https://github.com/prof7bit/TorChat/downloads
- Ricochet: It's an open source messenger based on Tor network. It supports Linux, macOS, and Windows. But its developer hasn't developed a file transfer function yet. https://ricochet.im
- Orbot: An Android Tor network connecting software made by Guardian Project. https://guardianproject.info/apps/orbot/
- Orfox: A Tor Browser for Android made by Guardian Project. It needs Orbot to connect to Tor network. https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/info.guardianproject.orfox
- Tor Browser for Android: It's Tor Browser for Android. It is a successor to Orfox. You can download it from Google Play Store. https://thenextweb.com/apps/2018/09/10/the-tor-projects-new-android-app-for-anonymous-browsing-is-here/
- ChatSecure: A messenger app for Android and iOS made by Guardian Project. It can connect to Tor network through Orbot. https://guardianproject.info/releases/
- I2PSnark: I2P's build-in BitTorrent similar software. It's not compatible with the traditional BitTorrent.
- iMule: I2P version P2P software. eMule and aMule are its ancestor. It's an open source software. http://www.imule.i2p/
- Freenet: Freenet is a peer-to-peer platform for censorship-resistant communication and publishing. -> https://freenetproject.org
- gpg4usb: You can encrypt text or files using it with GPG (PGP). It's an open source software and can be used in Linux and Windows. https://www.gpg4usb.org/download.html https://github.com/gpg4usb/gpg4usb
- GPG Suite: It's an open source GPG software made by GPGTools for macOS. https://gpgtools.org/gpgsuite.html https://github.com/GPGTools
- You can also use GPG encrypting softwares on Android and iOS devices. Just find on Play Store or App Store.
- Eraser: It's a secure deletion software. It makes it difficult to recover deleted files by rewriting random data on some files up to 35 times. You can also use this program to delete unoccupied space of HDD. https://sourceforge.net/projects/eraser/
- CCleaner: It is similar to Eraser. It's too simple, so you can't choose what method for deletion when you delete files. But you can use this app when Eraser doesn't work. https://www.ccleaner.com
- Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN): It's similar to Eraser but its aim is not only one file but whole hard disk drive. https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/
- VeraCrypt: Eraser and Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN) need time to erase data but usually there is no enough time when the police got search and seizure warrants. So you should encrypt your computer using an encryption software such as VeraCrypt. When you use Windows, you must encrypt your C: drive also because of cash and temporary files. And you can use hidden volume if you want to avoid the police's threat and torture to reveal the encryption password from you. https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html
Your operating system the most important layer in your security model. You should try to test and evaluate all OS's to find that perfect match between security and usability.
- Tails: Tails serves as a pre-configured out-of-box secure OS which can be easily loaded onto removable media. Its ease of use while still forcing a secure protocol makes this OS a great contender. It's based on Debian. All its outgoing connections are forced to go through Tor, and non-anonymous connections are blocked. https://tails.boum.org/
- Whonix: As with Tails, Whonix forces all communication through the Tor network. However, Whonix uses VirtualBox to usd a VM to ensure isolation of the user from the network. As such, it is a little more complex to setup and maintain. Nonetheless, Whonix serves as a viable alternative to the Tails OS for any user who wishes to keep a persistent OS on disk. It's based on Debian. https://www.whonix.org/
- Kali Linux: While not geared towards being out of the box secure, Kali is a powerful tool to exploit network vulnerabilities. This OS comes prepackaged with tools to collect and analyze data in your network as well as having software for anti-forensics. If you have ever wanted to know how secure your system/network is - bombard it with Kali. Kali Linux is the new generation of the industry-leading BackTrack Linux penetration testing and security auditing Linux distribution. Kali Linux is a complete re-build of BackTrack from the ground up, adhering completely to Debian development standards. https://www.kali.org/
- VirtualBox: Open source, free as in beer, and compatible with all major OS's there is no doubt that VirtualBox holds the number one spot in consumer VM's. Its robustness and maturity makes it the go to choice for any one who wishes to host a different OS virtually. https://www.virtualbox.org/
VMware Workstation Player is a free to use VM suite that allows you to host any OS on top of your Windows or Linux machine. https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/14_0
VMware Fusion claims flawless integration with your macOS machine and will allow you to host any OS on top. https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/info/slug/desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_fusion/10_0
- AVG: It's a free antivirus software and its headquarters is located in Czech Republic. https://www.avg.com